Sixteen Powerful Dissertation Topics In English Literature For Undergraduate Students
Is it really approaching dissertation time already? Are you beginning to panic because you want your thesis to be the greatest that any examiner in the world has ever read? Well, you have undoubtedly already read a lot of books and written some wonderful thought provoking essays on your undergraduate English literature course. However, that doesn't mean you necessarily know what topic you should choose for that all important paper. I mean, there are literally an infinite amount of subjects you could choose from, so what on earth should you select? It may feel like a rather daunting task you have ahead of you, and you may be feeling lost and overwhelmed amongst the pressures of undergraduate studying, in which case, you need to slow down, take a breath, think things through and get organized! Everything will be just fine!
To give you an idea of the types of topics you can choose from, here is a list of sixteen powerful topic ideas for English literature to get you started:
- Exploring Chaucer's genre diversity within The Canterbury Tales.
- How nineteenth-century novels were received by the public and academics alike when they were first published and how our understanding of them has changed from a modern day perspective.
- An analysis of homosexuality in literature from its beginnings to the present day.
- The changing role of women in twentieth-century literature.
- Examples of novels that broke the mould in the early twentieth century and how they achieved this: from James Joyce to William Burroughs.
- Why is Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings so appealing to adults and children alike?
- Feminism's growth in twentieth-century literature.
- Origins of the novel.
- The effect Milton's Paradise Lost had on seventeenth-century literature.
- Imagining a world without Shakespeare: the importance of the bard.
- Hans Christian Anderson's effect on how we perceive fairytales in the modern era.
- The impact Mary Shelley's Frankenstein had on proceeding literature.
- The importance of philosophy within literature.
- Politics in fiction from 1900 to the present day.
- The accuracy of history in historical novels.
- Where would modern readers be without J.K. Rowling?
If you need more ideas and examples than these, then be sure to have a look at your campus library to see what other students have written about over the years. You can also easily browse the internet to locate a plethora of English literature topics; indeed, there are many websites out there that specialize in listing topic ideas. So make sure you have a good look first before deciding on your dissertation title.